Thursday, December 23, 2010

October 1, 2010: Owls and Hairspray

I spent two evenings at the Scera theater with my kids this week. Friday, Griffin and I went and saw the new movie "The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole." Ian LOVED the book series and was sad when he found out that it would come out while he was on his mission. Griffin hasn't read any of the books, but wanted to see the movie as Ian had told him how great the story was. It was quite an intense little show, prompting Griffin to hide several times under his coat. I was worried that he would come out of it hating it, but he said he really liked it.

On Saturday, I took the kids to see the stage production of "Hairspray." I am always amazed at how fabulous their indoor productions are. (I'm not as much a fan of the outdoor ones--they seem to get lost in, well, the great outdoors.) It was just amazing! The singing and dancing were really well done and it was a good to see some of the kids who have come up in the youth theater program being given such prominent roles--and doing so well. (NOTE: We were saddened to find out that the actor who played the Dad was killed in a car accident the day after the show came to the end of its run.)

I'm such a huge fan of the Scera. They offer excellent entertainment at an unbelievable price. Their matinees are $4.50 and even the regular movie showings are only $6.50. Their stage productions are $12. It makes taking the family to the theater affordable, and we get to support a historic landmark.

No comments: