Thursday, December 23, 2010

August 23, 2010: A New Job

After volunteering at the kids' elementary school for, well, 10 years now, I accepted a position as the ZAP teacher. This program was started at a different school and stands for "Zeros Aren't Permitted." Students who don't complete their homework come to the classroom during lunch recess and try to get it done so they can get the credit. I'm not quite sure what direction I'll be taking: if it's supposed to be a positive place or negative. It seems to me that the kids who will be in there are those who probably don't have a lot of support at home, so I think we'll make it a good place--but not particularly "fun."

I was also going to be an aide for the art teacher, but then was switched to work with the fifth grade in their "double dosing" program. This is where kids are re-taught the math and reading concepts they are struggling with.

So now my schedule will be 8 to 9:15 at Westmore, 9:30 to 10:45 at Rocky Mountain (yes, I still have that job), 11 to 12 at Westmore, 12:15 to 2 at Rocky Mountain, then 2:15 to 3:45 at Westmore. It look like I will also be helping with clubs on Wednesdays, so I won't get home until 5:30 and will head to Mutual at 6:45. I'm hoping that I can "endure to the end!"

No comments: