Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 15, 2010: Lessons Learned

Today is the day we were supposed to have our annual Empty Nester's dinner for mutual. But we went caroling instead and delivered gifts. Why, you ask? Well, meet my alter-ego: Laman. I murmured. A lot. December is a tough month as far as how many activities are crammed in a short period of time. At the start of the month, we watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional where we were reminded to focus on the important things of the season and to simplify. And yet, we have something every single day and evening. This dinner has gone from a simple event to dinner for nearly 100 people just three days after the big ward party. And so I complained. To anyone who would sit and listen. To my friend, Laurels advisor, and Bishop's wife. She shared my frustrations with him. And the dinner was canceled. And I felt horrible. I knew that I had let myself down.

That Sunday, the Bishop called in all the youth leaders. He spoke about the parable of the sowers. And I was humbled. And I felt remorse. And I apologized for my part in everything that happened. As the Laurels tree had "failed" in a painless way, so had we. No one was killed. No one was bleeding. But we let down the other members of the ward. We didn't impress upon the youth the importance of following-through. We failed them as their leaders. It was a lesson well learned.

No comments: