Saturday, August 21, 2010

May 19, 2010: Sixth Grade NOVA Graduation

Part of the sixth grade experience is a program called "NOVA." I know it stands for something, but I couldn't tell you what it is. One of the police officers from Orem goes into the elementary schools once a week and talks about things like bullying, drugs, addictions, etc. He usually stays and eats lunch with them and so a parent is asked to decorate the sixth graders' lunch tables that day. I was asked to do it for Ellie's class so each Thursday I would run from work and try to get their tables decorated before they showed up.


At the end of the 12-week program, there is a graduation ceremony. I was grateful that I didn't have much to do with this since I pointed out that I had already done the tables for 10 weeks. I showed up to help decorate the refreshment table and take pictures.
Another little thing about the NOVA officer, Officer Christensen, is that he is an avid Orem Tigers fan and finds every opportunity to rub it in the Westmore kids' faces since the majority of them will be heading to Mountain View. Ellie, Emily, and Sydney (with the ever-supporting Mrs. Draper) took advantage of the opportunity to show their true colors to Officer Christensen both before and after the ceremony with a little decoration of their own. Although, one of my favorite parts of the slideshow presentation was when a picture of Ellie came up on the screen and a little balloon popped up that said, "I want to go to Orem High!"






No comments: