Sunday, August 31, 2008

Who Can Turn Down a Chance to Laugh?

For the past three years, our family has attended Laughin' Night, part of the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. (James Christensen designed the logo which you may have seen.) This year, I decided to go to the entire three-day event. I couldn't go Thursday night because of pack meeting, but I went without my family Friday (the kids were in school so I didn't feel too guilty), then with Ellie and one of her friends Friday night to My Favorite Stories. Ian, Mags and Ellie went with me all day Saturday, then John and Griffin joined us for closing night, better known as Laughin' Night. One of the storytellers, Rex Ellis, had Griffin laughing harder than we've seen in a long time. It was worth it just for that. My kids just loved Kevin Kling, Carmen Deedy, Antonio Rocha (a mime, no less!), and Bill Harley. This is such a great event and we're so lucky to have it in our backyard at Mt. Timpanogos Park just at the start of Provo Canyon. It gives my kids a chance to "unplug" from the computer, songs, video games, etc., until they get home and listen to their CDs.

We were very fortunate this year to be given a sponsor pass from a friend of mine which allowed us to sit up close to the stage. We were just far enough to be able to see without me having to spend the night looking up (which would have killed my neck). It was so crowded this year that even arriving 10 minutes after the gate opened wouldn't have left any chairs and we would have had to sit on the grass.

Next year is the 20th anniversary, so Bill and Carmen are coming back along with Bill Lepp, the world's greatest liar.



After Rex Ellis, Griffin just kind of curled up and fell asleep



Ellie and Carmen Deedy (really one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen)

No comments: