Sunday, August 3, 2008

Why Is Fast Sunday So Slow?

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Mormon/LDS culture, the first Sunday of every month is called "Fast Sunday," giving all the members of the church the opportunity to fast (skip two meals), donate those funds, and share their testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. For those of you who have kids, it's more like "Slow Sunday" since they complain the whole time about how hungry they are.

We had the opportunity to participate in a family fast this month (which always makes fasting easier) and broke our fast with one of our favorite meals from Italy: caprese, pasta with bolognese sauce, and, yes, I made panna cotta! On a day where my caloric intake should be remarkably reduced, I think I ate more than double the recommended amount of calories for the day.

In our ward, we fast frequently for the health and well-being of specific ward members. The Fast Sunday following my surgery was dedicated to several struggling with health issues, including myself. I have seen these work miracles, from a single mom surviving stage 4 breast cancer to a man who received three donor organs at one time. I know that the combined faith and prayers are heard by the Lord. We love our family so much, and know that the Lord will bless these family members as needed.

No comments: