Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat!

This is one of the craziest days of the year and this year was no exception. Today was a "Common Start" day where all the elementary school kids go at the same time rather than as early birds and later gators. Ellie and Grif go at 9;15, but today they started at 8. I went to work in full costume knowing that I'd have to head straight from there to the school.

Ellie's class had their wax museum where she was Sybil Luddington, a 16-year-old who also rode the night Paul Revere made his famous "the British are coming" ride. She wore the dress I wore to Terri's wedding reception:

From there, it was on to throw Griffin's class party. Griffin was Captain Rex from the Clone Wars (although he calls him "Commander Rex").

While we were trick or treating, one of our neighbors got on Griffin's last nerve by calling him a different name every time he saw him: "Hey, there's R2!" "Hey, it's C3-PO!" "Wow, I can't believe it's Boba Fett." Griffin finally looked at him and said, "What are you, a hobo or an idiot!" To which he responded on our last encounter, "Hey, it's Lando Calrissian!" Griffin just shook his head and walked off.


I was Princess Leia. The kids asked me not to wear the wig that came with it because they said I looked freaky with the dark hair. So we compromised. The picture was taken at the end of the school day, so my bagels had slipped. When I got in the house, Wilbur ate my bagels.

After school let out, it was running off to see Mountain View football in the playoffs for a couple of hours, then home to go trick or treating. (They lost in the last minute.) With my "buns" missing, my hair had a nice "Farrah" flair to it.


Ellie was Elizabeth Swan from Pirates of the Carribean (she didn't even see the movie, but just liked the dress).

John was Darth Vader and decided that the reason Darth Vader was so cranky was because he was so stinkin' hot in his helmet! (We took this picture before the ward roller skating party on Tuesday. I didn't dare wear my spiky boots walking around the neighborhood.) We really had perfect weather to go out. It was in the upper 60s and overcast with a light 30-second sprinkle here and there.

Ellie and Griffin filled four mixing bowls with their haul, and we still have two baskets left with candy. There will be no lack of chocolate in this house. I finally had to eat a pear just to offset all the garbage I had eaten. My feet are sore and my blood sugar is probably sky high, but another successful Halloween is behind us.

No comments: