Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Annual Primary Sacrament Meeting Program

Today was the Primary sacrament meeting program. As I'm sure you all know, this year's theme is "I Am A Child of God." Throughout the year, as the primary children gave talks in opening exercises, the presidency made note of certain talks. These children were selected to give their talks as part of the program. Griffin was selected as one of these and spoke on service. Now, when he gives a talk anywhere, he walks up to the microphone and clears his throat a half dozen times. John kept reminding him that he didn't need to do it. I saw Griffin clear his throat before he got up, then stood at the microphone and tapped it a couple of times. Here is his talk.

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." In May, my mom had surgery on her neck. I helped take care of her while her neck healed. I massaged her feet, helped her get things she couldn't, and would make sure she was okay. I felt really happy inside because it made her feel better. Heavenly Father was happy because I was doing something my mom couldn't do. Serving someone shows you love them and also that I love Jesus because I'm helping others. The more you help others, the more you love them. I love my mom because I helped her, and she loves me too because I helped her. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

As he got down, he started to walk the long way back to his seat, then came back, stood in front of the Bishop and extended his hand. The Bishop shook his hand and he returned to his seat.

Ellie did a great job on her part as well. She was able to memorize her part and presented it clearly and at just the right speed so that people could understand it without any difficulty. Memorization is a forte of hers and she did a great job.

Ian and Maggie participated with the other youth in singing "Latter-Day Prophets" with the primary kids.

In Sunday School, we talked about 3 Nephi 17-19 and how we are asked to be as little children. I immediately thought of Griffin who must have been thinking in his mind, "Oh, I should shake the Bishop's hand. That's the right thing to do." He did what he did because he believed it was right and what he should do. Growing up, I made a lot of choices based on "it's the right thing to do." I still do that. Saturday we had the opportunity to provide lunch for an Eagle project that was going much longer than expected. We did it because it was the right thing to do. We attend our meetings because it's the right thing to do. We say our prayers, read our scriptures, serve our fellow man because it's the right thing to do. If Griffin learns nothing else, maybe just knowing "Because it's the right thing to do . . . " is enough.

No comments: