Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Daily Grind

It's funny to me that the only way I can catch up on all that has happened in the past couple of weeks is to grab my phone and look at my calendar. So many times, my life is so hectic that it goes by as one big blur. (And even as I typed that, I noticed that the words on the page were blurry and realized that my glasses were still on top of my head rather than in front of my eyes where they are much more useful in situations such as this.) Is that a sign that my life is too complicated? Maybe.

I'll elaborate on some of the more "monumental" events in individual posts. Suffice it to say, I've substituted four afternoons, been involved in several 4H events (daytime and evenings performances), attended a pack meeting, a few young women's activities/firesides, run kids here and there, cleaned up the neighborhood, and prepared and sold tickets for the annual Westmore carnival. I DID finish a new magic blanket for the family (an individual post as this was a MONUMENTAL task), get the tickets for NEXT year's carnival prepped and ready, cut and divide up camp books for 34 girls/leaders, make a corsage for the prom, run a combined YW activity that involved three video game systems (see my young women's blog), and manage to catch a monster cold. (No, I haven't been to Mexico, but if I could CLAIM it as H1N1, maybe I could get quarantined and enjoy a few days of quiet.)

May, to me, is as bad as December as far as non-stop activities. In December, the semester is ending in the schools and they have all their performances, on top of the regular holiday festivities. In May, the situation is the same. The school year is coming to a close, which means Prom, Carnival, performances, testing, preparing for the dance carnival, graduation/all-night senior party (a new one for us!), teacher appreciation door decorating and gifts, and, once again, girls camp. Add to this, working part-time in the mornings and you can see that the words "spare time" have no meaning to me. There is none.

I am proud, however, to announce that I said "no" to something. My co-room mom asked me about doing the door for Griffin's classroom. She and I have had some interesting conversations of late where we have discussed how crazy our schedules are. I was able to say to her, "Nancy, my plate is completely full and I just can't do one more thing that day." She even remarked how true that must be for me to actually ask her to do it instead of trying to fit one more thing in. So I did get out of doing a door this year. I can't even tell you how great that was. My first time in I don't know how many years! It freed up the time I needed to prep for carnival and all the other sundry things that are going on right now.

Needless to say, I am truly grateful--even with this monstrous cold--to have the strength I need to continue on with these activities. I certainly collapse every evening (and am grateful for--as Griffin calls it--"the most comfortable bed in the house") ready to sleep and awake in the morning ready to work.

No comments: