Sunday, April 18, 2010

April 17, 2010: The Semi-Annual King Oden Viking Feast

My nephew, Ben Roden, regularly holds a Viking Feast. I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before. This year, Ellie was invited to attend along with Maggie. Although invited, I still hold to the belief that this is a purely male event and any girls who attend should be truly serving wenches. I must be in the minority in this belief. The "Mother Wench" prepared 40 pounds of ribs and chicken for the eating, along with I don't know how much bread and assorted fruit.

When I went down to pick up the girls, informing them that they had eaten their share of MEAT, I took Griffin with me so he could see what this whole shindig was about. Having just taken a bath, he scootered down in his pajamas. I warned him that when someone arrived, there was a rousing cheer of "SKOL!" given by all those in attendance. He made it through that with his ears covered, but was overwhelmed when King Oden/Ben welcomed the greatest Viking warrior of them all, Buzz Lightyear, and an even louder chorus of "SKOL!" was shouted by the crowd. He ran out, crossed the street, switched his shirt so that Buzz was on the back, and then Ben came out to apologize. Griffin later told John that he was embarrassed by his shirt. At church, Ben assured Griffin that they weren't making fun of him but that Buzz Lightyear truly was very cool.









1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm kind of amused by the fact that Ben looks entirely natural presiding over a Viking feast.