Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 3: The Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps

After hopping back on the bus, we headed off to the Trevi Fountain. I had heard of it, but didn't really know what it looked like. Jessie was amazed that I hadn't seen it in the movies (although I thought I had seen it in the Robert Downey, Jr./Marissa Tomei movie, Only You, but that was a different one). When we walked through the streets and came upon it, I knew I had never seen it before and would never forget it again. It was so hot, I had to really control myself--and keep a hold on Griffin--to not jump in.






We walked from the fountain to the Spanish Steps. This is also where we stopped for our first gelato. We didn't realize that we were on the fashion avenue of Rome, just that we were close to a the Barcaccia Fountain that we wanted to jump into (although the police were quickly telling people to get their feet out of it) and were inhaling our creamy goodness in frozen form. Since all the pictures of it seem to be protected, just type "Spanish Steps Rome Italy" for a great shot of them. Pat told us later that for penitence, Catholics would climb them on their knees. I did it on my feet and was begging forgiveness myself!

No comments: