Thursday, September 4, 2008

It Must Be the End of the World


It was our semi-annual stake blood drive today and I went in for my scheduled appointment at 5:00. After going through the initial check to make sure I was healthy enough to donate, I went through the round of questions. I noticed a question this time that I hadn't paid attention to before: have you received any donor grafts in the past 12 months? I skipped that one, finished the rest, and then flagged down one of the techs. After asking whether my cadaver/donor bone from the cervical fusion in my neck qualified as a graft, and having her go ask a few other people, I was told that I wouldn't be able to donate for a year following the surgery. I couldn't believe it! I was so disappointed! (Yes, that's where the title comes into play.) I had made a concerted effort to drink lots of fluids today so they could find the vein easily and my blood would flow quickly. All of that for nothing! Trip after trip to the bathroom for no reason!

I guess I'll see them again next summer. Who would have thought with my tumultuous past with needles that I would be so distraught that I couldn't give blood?

No comments: