Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A True Milestone

Twenty years ago today, I was sealed for time and all eternity to my beloved husband, John. Twenty years flew by. I had a bit of a freak-out when it was my 20th high school reunion. I felt old. (Next year is my 25th.) But I don't feel like I've been married for 20 years! I realize that I have a 19-year-old, but somehow I don't relate that to me.

That morning, Mom took John and I over to the Washington DC temple. We were there a little before 5 if I remember correctly. I can't guarantee that I remember much of anything correctly these days, so.... I remember Chris and Kim filming us getting ready. I was grumpy and a bit rude to everyone around me. If nothing else, I've grown up a little. It was a cold day and we were the first of 89 sealings that day. I was rushed from room to room, and since I wasn't changing into a wedding dress, I was not given the opportunity to go into the Bride's Dressing Room. Now, if you know me, you know I'm still a little bitter about it. When the temple was open for touring before it was dedicated, I remember Mom and I walking into it and she whispered into my year, "Someday, you'll get to get dressed in this very room." Well, I didn't. I should probably build a bridge and get over it, but it still smarts. (Maybe I haven't grown up that much.)

What have I learned? Well, I wear a lot less makeup than I used to. I look horrible with bangs. I've gained 10 pounds and have a different shape. I still can't say, "No," but I am learning slowly and quietly how to share my opinion. I straighten my hair or wear it naturally curly, depending on how the day is going. I get my eyebrows waxed and periodically, will color my hair. I still hate to exercise, but still love to dance.

After all these years, we still laugh a lot, but now we include our children. We know each other well enough to know what one or the other of us will or won't want to do. We've been through sorrow, loss, success, joy, and contentment. And it has flown by. By the time our 40th rolls around, I'll be 62. I wonder how much will have changed by then?









3 comments:

Kim Griesemer said...

Dear Jen,

Happy Anniversary!

By the way, I have a suggestion about how to get over that Bride's Dressing Room thing. Sign up to be a temple worker! When it's quiet, you can go in and sit and get all the bride's room time you want--without the Wedding Day jitters. It is a very special room where you can feel Heavenly Father's love for his daughters.

Love,
Kim

Holly said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Love all the pictures! :)

Kirsty Michaelis said...

Congrats Jen! I hope to look and feel as good as you do in 15 years. John is one heck of a lucky guy :).

Wow I never realized how much Ian looks like John!